The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports at least 430 people die in the United States from uncontrolled Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. These deaths come from non-fire related carbon monoxide poisoning. This can be from faulty consumer products. As winter continues, it’s important to make sure your family is safe. You can do this in a few different ways. The experts at Getzschman Heating and Air Conditioning will break it down for you below:
Step One: Install a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Step one is the most important step and is often overlooked. Installing a carbon monoxide detector can monitor the levels in between furnace tune-ups. These will notify you anytime there is a CO leak in your living space. CO leaks can happen from a few different things, for example, cracked heat exchangers. Since homes are now more airtight than they used to be in the past a CO leak could spell disaster for you and your family. Death isn’t the only outcome for CO leaks, they can also cause headaches, nausea, and many other symptoms.
Step Two: Get an Annual Furnace Tune-up
An annual furnace tune-up from a trusted professional is your best line of defense against carbon monoxide poisoning. Our experienced technician will check every part of your furnace to make sure it’s in great condition and safe for you and your family to use. This process ensures that any CO leak will be fixed and they will also fix other minor issues that could cost you in heating bills.
Other Sources of Carbon Monoxide in Your Home
While the most common source of carbon monoxide comes from your furnace, it isn’t the only way it can enter your home. Here are some other items that can release deadly carbon monoxide gas into your home:
- Gas Stoves/Ovens
- Fireplaces (gas and wood burning)
- Water Heaters
- Wood Stoves
- Running Vehicles
With the installation of a carbon monoxide detector, you’ll never have to worry about the deadly gas harming you and your family again. The way this detector works is by alarming a sound when there are dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in your home. Rest easy knowing that you and your loved ones won’t experience pain or loss from this silent killer.