You depend on your air conditioner to keep you comfortable during the hot Omaha summers. But what happens when it stops working? Sometimes you need to call an expert like one of the G-Force technicians at Getzschman Heating and Air Conditioning. But sometimes, it’s something you can troubleshoot yourself. In fact, many times it’s a simple fix that may make you feel silly for not checking first.
Top 5 AC Simple Fixes
Here are the top five things to check before calling a professional and paying for an unnecessary service call:
- Thermostat: Make sure it is set to cool instead of heat or even set to off accidentally.
- Electrical Panel: Make sure the breaker isn’t tripped. If it is, flip it back.
- Filter: A dirty air filter, in some cases, can shut down your entire AC system. Replace it with a clean one.
- Batteries in Thermostat: If these attempts don’t work, the batteries in your thermostat may need to be replaced.
- Power Switch: Your outdoor AC unit has a power switch (usually near the unit inside a metal box mounted to your home and sometimes labeled “emergency shut-off”). Look for a red button and press it to reset.
Okay, it’s not always something this simple that goes wrong, but you might as well rule out the obvious before calling in the big guns. If you’ve double checked these five things and your AC is still not working, give us a call. Oh, one more tip – if your coils are frozen, turn off your AC and let them thaw before calling us. We can’t work on a frozen unit, and it can take several hours for them to thaw.
When you need AC repairs, call Getzschman Heating and Air Conditioning. We’ve been installing air conditioners, furnaces, and heat pumps in the Omaha area for over 50 years. We offer 24-hour service and we’ll get you up and running as soon as possible.